Potatoe and Squash Casserole.
You can have Potatoe and Squash Casserole using 11 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Potatoe and Squash Casserole
- Prepare 2 large of Russet Potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch.
- It’s 2 medium of Zuchinii, sliced 1/4 inch.
- Prepare 1 large of Yellow Squash, sliced 1/4 inch.
- It’s 1 small of Onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 cup of Milk.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Cornstarch.
- Prepare 1 cup of Breadcrumbs.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Italian Seasoning.
- It’s 1 of Salt and Pepper.
- It’s 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of Cheese.
Potatoe and Squash Casserole instructions
- Slice the vegetables and potatoes. Place each in their own bowl or plate. Set aside..
- *Tip* Slice the potato later, while sauce is simmering, to prevent possible browning..
- Chop the onion and place in dry pan. Turn heat to med-low and cook a few minutes. Stir. Add a little bit of water, a tablespoon at a time, to prevent burning. Cook until onion is medium brown. Remove onions from pan and place in a bowl or plate..
- Add milk to pan scraping up onion bits left in pan. Heat to boil then simmer..
- Create a slurry placing cornstarch in a cup with a tablespoon of water. Stir till cornstarch is dissolved..
- Add slurry to milk and stir. Add salt and pepper and a shake or two of italian seasoning and stir. Simmer milk for another 5 min. Add onions to milk and stir. Heat for a few minutes then turn off heat..
- Prepare your casserole dish (spray pam, oil or butter it) and start layering..
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- You can layer any way you want. What I did is I started with rows of potatoes overlapping each other till the casserole dish was filled. Topped it with rows or a layer of zucchini and then a layer of yellow squash..
- At this step you can put half of the onion-milk mixture over the vegetables and then continue doing another layer of potatoes, zucchini and squash..
- Top with the last of the onion-milk mixture. Cover it with foil and bake for 35 min at 350°..
- While it's cooking prepare the breadcrumb topping. Put your breadcrumbs and italian seasoning in a bowl, top with oil and stir. If using fresh breadcrumbs, get 2 slices of bread and squish it and roll it in your hands until it forms a ball and throw it in your blender. Blend for a few seconds until you get breadcrumb consistency..
- Remove pan from oven, remove foil and sprinkle breadcrumbs over the casserole and then sprinkle your cheese over the breadcrumbs. Add more or less breadcrumbs as needed..
- Place. uncovered casserole back in oven and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes..
- *Tips* Instead of cornstarch you can make a roux using 2 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp butter. Put this in the pan before the milk. Stirring and cooking the flour till it changes color then add the milk..
- You can also use any vegetables you have on hand. This recipe is very versatile..
Thank you sister ida for sharing Recipe: Delicious Potatoe and Squash Casserole, hopefully it's useful for us all, please feel free to practical for social gathering or daily parties. For friends who want to share recipes are welcome, and those who request are also allowed. Don't forget to share this recipe via your social media, maybe Facebook, Twitter, IG or WhatsApp