Vickys Scottish Clootie Dumpling, GF DF EF SF NF.
You can cook Vickys Scottish Clootie Dumpling, GF DF EF SF NF using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vickys Scottish Clootie Dumpling, GF DF EF SF NF
- Prepare 180 grams of self-raising gluten-free flour.
- Prepare 180 grams of gluten-free brown breadcrumbs.
- It’s 180 grams of vegetable suet.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum if using GF flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of bicarb of soda / baking soda.
- You need 2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 1 tsp of ground ginger.
- You need 120 grams of currants.
- Prepare 180 grams of sultanas.
- It’s 120 grams of soft dark brown sugar.
- You need 2 tbsp of (lyles) golden syrup.
- It’s 300 ml of milk or dairy-free alternative, amount varies due to suet.
- You need 1 of 'cloot' – a large square piece of muslin cloth* or pillowcase.
Vickys Scottish Clootie Dumpling, GF DF EF SF NF instructions
- You can use a greased pudding bowl in place of the cloot, covered with a piece of tented foil secured with a rubber band around the rim.
- First put your clean cloot in some boiling water. Take the cloot out of the water, wring it out, lay it flat and dust well with gluten-free flour. Smooth the flour over the cloot with your hands to get an even spread.
- Mix all the ingredients together with enough milk to make a fairly soft consistency. Make sure everything is mixed well.
- Place the mixture in the middle of the cloot, draw the corners together evenly but leave room for the suet to expand. Tie the cloot shut securely with string. Put a plate or trivet in the bottom of a deep pan and place the clootie dumpling on top of it. Cover the dumpling with enough boiling water so it's completely submerged and cooks evenly. Simmer for 2.5 to 3 hours.
- Carefully remove the dumpling from the pot and put it in a colander in the sink. Untie the string and gently pull the corners of the cloot apart. Put a plate over the dumpling in the colander and whip it over. Carefully peel the cloot away from one corner and behold your glorious dumpling!.
- Some people like to oven dry their dumpling at this stage. I don't, it dries it too much and too fast. Let it cool and dry on it's own. It will keep for 3 months so it has plenty of time! Make in December to be mature by Hogmanay or as part of your Burns Supper on January 25th! Reheat and serve sliced with custard, or have the slices cold, spread with some butter and apricot jam. My grannie would fry the slices in butter when we were young, lovely!.
Thank you mother yani for sharing Recipe: Tasty Vickys Scottish Clootie Dumpling, GF DF EF SF NF, hopefully it's useful for us all, please feel free to practical for social gathering or daily parties. For friends who want to share recipes are welcome, and those who request are also allowed. Don't forget to share this recipe via your social media, maybe Facebook, Twitter, IG or WhatsApp