Asiago and Asparagus Barley 'Risotto'.
You can have Asiago and Asparagus Barley 'Risotto' using 11 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Asiago and Asparagus Barley 'Risotto'
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 1 large of yellow onion (medium diced).
- It’s 2 clove of fresh garlic (minced).
- You need 1 1/2 cup of pearl barley (check for pebbles).
- You need 1 cup of white wine.
- It’s 6 cup of chicken broth (may need a cup more).
- Prepare 1 bunch of fresh asparagus (cut into bite size).
- It’s 1 of generous handful of fresh asiago.
- You need 1 of fresh black pepper, to taste.
- You need 1 of salt, to taste (I prefer Fleur de sel with herbs de Provence).
Asiago and Asparagus Barley 'Risotto' step by step
- In a preheated dutch oven or heavy bottom pot, melt butter into olive oil at medium heat. Add the chopped onion and saute until translucent..
- In separate pot over medium low heat warm the chicken broth. Do *not* boil. You just want it hot..
- To the dutch oven–Add garlic and season with salt and pepper (you will season again before finished, so don't overdo it).
- After onion and garlic have cooked down and started to change colour, add the pearl barley and continue to cook for 4-6 minutes until fragrant (barley will start to smell slightly 'toasted' after its heated through) *before adding barley, I always pick through and look for pebbles, there's usually one or two that sneak through the packaging process*.
- Once the barley is hot and toasty, add wine all at once and let it reduce for a few minutes..
- Start adding the hot broth, a cup at a time, stirring frequently. Each time you add broth, stir until it absorbs into barley. It will start looking creamier and thicker with each cup of broth..
- After adding the 6th cup and cooking down, check barley for doneness. At this point, you may need to add another cup of broth and cook until barley is 'al dente'. *Note-Barley has a chewy texture, much different from rice but that's why this recipe is delicious*.
- Once barley is done add asparagus and cook until tender and bright green 5-7 minutes..
- Lastly, add fresh grated asiago to your taste (keeping in mind it's fairly salty) and season with salt and pepper..
- Serve topped with fresh chopped parsley aside steak, chicken or pork chops..
Thank you tante ida for sharing Easiest Way to Cook Appetizing Asiago and Asparagus Barley 'Risotto', hopefully it's useful for us all, please feel free to practical for social gathering or daily parties. For friends who want to share recipes are welcome, and those who request are also allowed. Don't forget to share this recipe via your social media, maybe Facebook, Twitter, IG or WhatsApp