Spicy Vegan Lentil Mabo Tofu. The Japanese-style Mapo Tofu (Mabo Dofu) is incredibly flavorful but less spicy than the Sichuan-style. Tofu is cooked in a spicy and oily, chili- and bean-based sauce, which lends beautiful bright red color to the dish. While the original Shichuan Mapo Tofu is pretty spicy, the Japanese version is.
Mapo tofu is a hot tofu stew dish that has it's origins from the Szechuan province in China and is one of my favorite comfort foods to make when I'm in a. This Vegan Mapo Tofu brings together the flavours from both Japanese and Chinese versions of Mapo Tofu. Mapo tofu was one of my favourite dishes growing up. You can cook Spicy Vegan Lentil Mabo Tofu using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spicy Vegan Lentil Mabo Tofu
- Prepare 100 g of lentils, soaked overnight.
- It’s 1 block of silk or soft tofu, 350-400 g.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic.
- You need 1 of chunk fresh ginger.
- Prepare 1 of spring or green onion, white part.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Chinese fermented black beans.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Sichuan peppercorns, ground.
- You need 1-2 tsp of douban jiang (spicy chili bean paste).
- It’s 1 Tbsp of sesame oil (or vegetable oil).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of vegetable or kombu stock.
- You need 2 tsp of potato starch.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of sugar.
- You need of Chopped scallions to garnish.
Since my mother is Japanese, majority of the time I had the Japanese version of Mapo Tofu (also known as Mabo Dofu), over a bed of hot. Mabo tofu, a tofu and vegetable stew with a gravy sauce, is one of the most popular homecooked dishes in Japan. This recipe, inspired from a dish made by those homecooked meals, is recreated with a healthy touch and will be enjoyed by children and all ages. It is wonderful to serve with brown rice.
Spicy Vegan Lentil Mabo Tofu instructions
- Prep all the ingredients beforehand so you can work quickly while stir-frying (don't forget to soak your lentils for 6-8 hours!). Mince the garlic, green onion and fermented black beans. Grate the ginger and lightly grind the Sichuan peppercorns..
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat the sesame oil and fry the ginger, garlic and spring onion until fragrant. Add the fermented black beans and Sichuan peppercorns and fry for about 1 minute, stirring..
- Add the douban jiang/spicy chili bean paste and fry briefly while mixing it into the other ingredients..
- Add the soaked and drained lentils, then pour in enough water to just cover everything. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on medium low for about 15 minutes until the lentils are soft..
- While the lentils are cooking, mix 1/2 cup stock with 2 tsp potato starch, 1 Tbsp soy sauce and 1 tsp sugar in a small bowl and set aside..
- Once the lentils are soft, cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes and add it into the pan. Gently toss to mix but avoid stirring or the tofu may fall apart..
- Give the stock mix from step 5 a stir and pour it over the lentils and tofu. Bring to a boil and simmer for a couple minutes until the sauce has thickened a bit. Garnish with chopped scallions and serve..
Mapo tofu is a justly popular menu item in many Chinese restaurants It is a quickly cooked dish of braised tofu with minced pork (sometimes beef) in a bracing spicy sauce made with fermented black beans and fermented broad bean paste, along Vegan Mapo Tofu. Ready in minutes, this vegan mapo tofu relies on a show-stopping sauce of fermented black beans, chili bean paste, and Sichuan peppercorns. Vegan Mapo Tofu. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Mabo Tofu (or Mapo Tofu) is one of the very popular Chinese dishes in Japan. Tofu in a garlicky, spicy meat sauce is vey tasty, and it goes very Mabo Tofu is so popular that it is found at all Chinese restaurants in Japan, but it is also a staple dinner entree at home.
Thank you tante ulin for sharing Recipe: Appetizing Spicy Vegan Lentil Mabo Tofu, hopefully it's useful for us all, please feel free to practical for social gathering or daily parties. For friends who want to share recipes are welcome, and those who request are also allowed. Don't forget to share this recipe via your social media, maybe Facebook, Twitter, IG or WhatsApp